I have always prided myself on being a frugal and thoughtful consumer, concerned about the ecological and ethical impacts of the products I buy. I pay that extra $10 a month to support green energy, use CFLs where I can, have low flow shower heads, bricks in the toilet tanks, buy earth and animal friendly cleaning products or make my own, wear my clothes until they're dead, line dry most often, use my dish and pasta water to water landscaping, shower every other day, have no ac, rarely use my gas in wall heater, bike or take public transport almost all of the time, drink tap water, buy local and organic foods to supplement those I grow in my garden, have reusable shopping bags, a reusable coffee cup, a reusable water bottle, save lidded plastic food packaging to store left overs of future meals and compost 100% of my food scraps.

....so what's with all this waste?

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 8: Waste Tally

I'm cleaning out the office!


I finally sucked it up and bought three folding tables at Home Depot. Not in love with this company by any means, but it's close and I knew they had the tables I wanted. Plus the store I go to is great because the employees will almost always give me a discount just for being nice and chatting it up with them. Thank you.

I put the tables in a "T" shape so, I now have a separate craft zone and computer zone. Sweet! Now where to put my robot zone?

I was going to do built in desks, but then I realized that if I ever move (which is likely cause this is a rental) I would have to leave all that wood behind, or even worse...tear it out...not too sustainable.

So here's the day's tally minus some of the office stuff. As with the shed yesterday, most of the stuff I'm getting rid of is recyclable. Look for pics of the completed office tomorrow!

Transportation:
  • Drove to work (23 miles)
  • Drove home (27 miles)
  • Drove to Home Depot and back (6 miles)

Solid Waste:

Reuse

  • 2 cereal boxes

Recycle

  • 6' x 3' plastic bag
  • 18" x 20" card stock label
  • 2 inner plastic bags from cereal
  • 1 small plastic deli wrapper

Compost

  • 2 tea bags
  • 2 paper tea bag wrappers

Trash

  • 1 piece waxed deli paper

No comments:

Post a Comment