I have always prided myself on being a frugal and thoughtful consumer, concerned about the ecological and ethical impacts of the products I buy. I pay that extra $10 a month to support green energy, use CFLs where I can, have low flow shower heads, bricks in the toilet tanks, buy earth and animal friendly cleaning products or make my own, wear my clothes until they're dead, line dry most often, use my dish and pasta water to water landscaping, shower every other day, have no ac, rarely use my gas in wall heater, bike or take public transport almost all of the time, drink tap water, buy local and organic foods to supplement those I grow in my garden, have reusable shopping bags, a reusable coffee cup, a reusable water bottle, save lidded plastic food packaging to store left overs of future meals and compost 100% of my food scraps.

....so what's with all this waste?

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Day 6 / 7: Greed, Gluttony and Guilt

I'm getting tricky and not in a good way. Yesterday, I had my boyfriend feed the cats and get the mail just so I wouldn't have to add the packaging and junk mail to my waste tally. Sorry babe.

When I started this a week ago, I thought,"This won't be too hard. I don't create that much waste. Having at least one zero waste day a week should be easy." How wrong I was.

So what's the big hold up?

I'm greedy. I want to do everything myself so I glut supplies, filling up my office, laundry room and shed for when "I get to really focus on my (....gardening, puppetry, business plan, custom shelving, chickens, cheese making, stencils, etc...)" Now I feel guilty.

Honestly, look at my office! I have way too much stuff. Too many supplies that I can't properly organise. Most of this is actually garden stuff that ended up in my office because our shed got messy. Ok..then I guess I should start with the shed.





vs'








Each pile of junk in the shed is representative of a new hobby or pursuit: A stack of beverages for the small events I occasionally produce, a box of lighting and A/V gear, a tool chest, two partially built bikes, a dead electric scooter, motorcycle parts, camping gear, garden supplies and two shelves of scenery from a psychedelic puppet show I did two years ago....

WAIT! Two shelves of stuff I haven't touched for two years!?!?! Puppets, get thee to deep storage under the house! Give me my shelves back.

This is where I need to make a few disclaimers. 1) How lucky am I that I have a house and a shed to begin with? I know many of you live in apartments and do not have the luxury of these things. 2) I ended up being the storage facility for the puppet scenery exactly because I have this space where no one else in my puppet troupe does.

I sorted through every single box and bag; sorting tools, screws, rope, papers, all of it. Anything that was broken got recycled. Anything that I no longer needed is going to Salvation Army today.

Mantra: Just because it's useful, doesn't mean it's useful TO ME.

Actually, the only trash I had was the leather and foam off an old bike seat. The rest of the seat I cut apart with a hacksaw so I could separate the metal from the plastic for recycling. I hope they will accept it, if not it was fun to get out the ole hacksaw!

Look out office....your day is due.

No comments:

Post a Comment